Wesley House Community Center, Inc. is a 113-year old non-profit organization begun in 1904 when Mrs. Elizabeth Cochran, Mrs. J.R. Whittaker and some ladies of the Central Methodist Church in Meridian, Mississippi felt a calling to “…minister to the least of these…” These Methodist women sought to bring families in a cotton-mill community on the Eastern boundary of Meridian, into the sphere of Christianity. Today, Wesley House is a National Missions Institute and is in a covenant relationship with the United Methodist Women. It is also a recognized mission of the Mississippi Conference of the United Methodist Church. We provide a hand-up approach of assistance to our clients through four separate and distinct mission areas:
The purpose of Wesley House is to provide a holistic approach in providing resources to those in need. A “hand up” is offered rather than a “hand out” so that people are able to retain their dignity and regain their independence. The services are offered to people from all walks of life who find themselves in need of support. These services, other than the preschool, are free of charge to everyone. Wesley House offers these services to everyone regardless of race, creed, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.